I’ve learned that watching YouTube videos about “How to be motivated”, “How to be rich”, “What you need to do”, “10 things that will change your life” are all bullshit.
You want to be motivated? Get your ass off YouTube and Instagram and start doing what you need to do to be where you want to be in life.
You know what needs to be done and how to do it. If you don’t know how to do it. Learn. Take a class, find a mentor or ask around. Quit scrolling through garbage.
Motivation is a lie. Discipline is everything. Being focused, determined and willing to put in the work.
“Talent is cheaper than table salt, what separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.” – Stephen King
Successful people are busy working and creating. They aren’t making YouTube channels.
Recently I got a library card on the advice of my assistant. Yeah, those things are still around. I was just as shocked.
I discovered at the library that there are these books called Biographies and Autobiographies.
Great great books.
If you really want to learn how things get done. Read these books.
There are people out there that have revolutionized things that you had no idea about. There was no YouTube or blogs.
These people did the work and put in the hours. They weren’t looking for a get rich quick scheme. They weren’t sitting around waiting for inspiration. They worked and created. During work and creating they got ideas for new creations. And so on and so on.
They were true entrepreneurs, politicians, speakers and activists out to change the world.
They did shit.
If you really want to learn what it takes to make it anywhere. Read biographies and autobiographies. Books are written about these people for a reason.
They weren’t just dreamers. They were doers. They didn’t tell anyone else how to make it. They were showing us. They were proving themselves and they were proving the critics wrong.
“Amateurs sit and wait for inspiration, the rest of us just get up and go to work.” – Stephen King
Here’s what you’ll learn from Biographies and Autobiographies:
1. There are no lists in life that will create you, help you, motivate you, help you not procrastinate (procrastinating IS reading a list), make you the best anything.
2. If you’re really talented and good at your craft. If you know too much. You will be killed or suicided.
3. When people start noticing you. You will be hated. For the simple fact that they noticed you doing something while they do nothing.
4. These people didn’t take shit from anybody. They didn’t listen to the haters or critics. They didn’t let anyone tell them they couldn’t do it. They had perseverance and a plan and they kept their focus on it.
5. They didn’t advertise, promote or influence. God I hate that word. They were so busy perfecting their craft and being so amazing people noticed them.
Biographies and Autobiographies I recommend:
Martin Luther King – Becoming King
Elon Musk – Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX and the Quest for a Fantastic Future
Richard Branson – Losing my Virginity
Helen Keller – The Story of My Life. Talk about a woman who overcame a lot.
Carol Burnett – In Such Good Company
Tim Conway – What’s so funny?
Johnathan Winters – My Life “In search of a Playground”
Robin Williams – Robin
They have links in case you can’t find them at your local library.